Northern Ireland Health trust accused of catalogue of errors
The family of a 21-year-old man who died weeks after a routine operation have accused the Southern Health trust in Northern Ireland of a catalogue of failings, which they believe contributed to his death.
Peter McAneney attended Craigavon Hospital for a routine ear operation in April 2012 – a procedure he had undergone already on two separate occasions to improve his hearing and reduce infection. He was fitted with a titanium implant, even though he had not consented to this. Peter was readmitted to hospital three times in the space of three weeks after the operation with ear infections and chest pains. He was then given iodine before going for an X-ray, despite hospital staff being advised that he was allergic to iodine. He died following a massive heart attack.
Peter’s family has accused the health trust of large number of errors, including a mismanagement of fluid, failure to carry out a chest X-ray, failure to update clinical notes and to detect and record the signs of clinical deterioration. They also criticise the health trust lack of communciation after Peter’s death, and accuse them of trying to cover up the hospital errors. No report into his death was available to pass on to the Northern Ireland coroner’s office, and it was only once this was requested seven months after Peter’s death that a serious adverse incident was recorded. In December 2012 an investigation was launched by the coroner’s office.
If you have suffered injury or loss as a result of medical negligence at a hospital in Northern Ireland contact Wilson Nesbitt solicitors in Belfast for legal advice by calling 0800 840 9289.